Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
One of the side dishes I remember from my childhood growing up in Holland.
Make and share this Rode Kool (Red Cabbage) Dutch recipe recipe from Food.com.
- 1 head red cabbage
- 3 -4 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 pinch pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Cut and shred cabbage.
- Cook in a small amount of boiling water with salt, cloves and pepper for about 45 minutes.
- Don't let it boil dry, but don't add too much water.
- During the last 10 minutes of cooking time add the vinegar.
- Just before serving add the butter and seasoning.
Eat this with applesauce and boiled potatoes. Yum! Thanks for this recipe - brought back good memories of my childhood.
I was a great side dish to my rouladen. Thank you.
I really liked this dish, though my family didn't like it as much. That may be due to the fact that I have never served them red cabbage of any kind. I used a small head of red cabbage, Splenda instead of sugar, and I used rice vinegar. Thanks for sharing this recipe.