Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
In Southern California, we eat ice cream all year round. This is a good one.
- 3 cups milk
- 3 cups half-and-half cream
- 9 (1 ounce) semi-sweet chocolate baking squares
- 2 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups heavy whipping cream
- 3 cups miniature marshmallows
- 2 1⁄4 cups miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped pecans
- 6 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a large saucepan, combine milk and half-and-half; heat to 175°. Add chocolate, sugar and salt; stir until chocolate is melted and sugar is dissolved.
- Remove from the heat. Cool quickly by placing pan in a bowl of ice water; stir for 2 minutes. Cool completely. Transfer to a large bowl; stir in the remaining ingredients. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer two-thirds full; freeze according to the manufacturers directions. Refrigerate remaining mixture until ready to freeze, stirring before freezing each batch.
- Allow to ripen in ice cream freezer or firm up in the refrigerator freezer for 2-4 hours before serving.