Prep 25 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 lbs sirloin tip steaks, cubed
- 4 1⁄3 cups water, divided
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 potatoes, quartered
- 6 carrots, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can pearl onions
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 5 ounces frozen green peas, thawed
- In a large pot over medium heat, cook sirloin in oil until quite brown.
- Pour 1 cup of water over the meat and drippings and cook, stirring, 2 minutes, until a dark gravy forms.
- Stir in 3 cups water with the salt, lemon juice, paprika, garlic, sugar, worcestershire and bay leaf.
- Cover, reduce heat and simmer 2 1/2 hours.
- Stir potatoes and carrots into simmering stew and cook until tender, 20 minutes.
- Stir in onions.
- In a small bowl, combine flour with remaining 1/3 cup water.
- Stir flour mixture into stew and cook until stew thickens.
- Top with peas just before serving.
Very good and very easy to make. Will make this again.
Loved this dish! I used fresh pearl onions instead of canned. Took a little more prep time but I couldn't find the canned variety. This stew is fabulous. The leftovers are good too! Will definitely be making this again.
Tasty, easy to throw together, sauted onions instead of pearl onions (couldn't find them at the store). A great stick to your ribs meal in a pot.