Somewhat time consuming but OH so worth it.
Make and share this Rocky Mountain High Coconut Cream Pie recipe from Food.com.
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 2 cups light cream, at room temp
- 1 cup milk, at room temp
- 4 extra-large egg yolks, lightly beaten, at room temp
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temp
- 2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄4 cups sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 fully baked 9 inch pie shell
- Mix sugar and cornstarch in large bowl until it resembles powder.
- Add the light cream slowly in a steady stream, whisking constantly. Beat well.
- Add milk in the same way. Beat in egg yolks.
- Pour into heavy 2-quart saucepan, set over medium high heat, and bring to boil, stirring constantly.
- When the mixture reaches a hard boil (when bubbles continue thru stirring) reduce heat to low, and simmer for 2 minutes while continuing to stir.
- Pour the filling into medium size bowl. Beat in the butter one Tablespoon at a time, stirring each until melted.
- Beat in vanilla and coconut. Cover the surface with plastic wrap and let cool for 1/2 hour.
- Spoon filling into pie crust, chill until firm, at least 4 hours. Can decorate with whipped cream and browned coconut if so desired.