Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Posted in response to a recipe request. Cooling time not included in prep time.
Make and share this Rocky Mountain Coconut Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup real butter, softened
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup grated coconut
Rocky Mountain Filling
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 egg whites (room temperature)
- 2 1⁄2 cups grated coconut
- 2 cups chopped raisins
- 1 cup currants
- 1 cup chopped blanched almond
- 1 three-layer cake
- For the cake:.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease and flour three 9-inch round cake pans.
- Cream butter; gradually add sugar, beating well.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt together; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- Mix well after each addition.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Pour batter into prepared cake pans.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes OR until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pans 10 minutes; remove layers from pans and let cake cool completely.
- Spread Rocky Mountain Filling between layers and top with coconut.
- For the filling:.
- Combine sugar and water in a heavy saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until mixture comes to a boil and sugar is dissolved.
- Beat egg whites until foamy.
- While beating at medium speed of electric mixer, slowly pour hot syrup in a thin stream over egg whites.
- Turn mixer to high speed and continue beating until stiff peaks form and mixture is thick enough to spread.
- Stir in coconut, raisins, currants and almonds.