From Best of the Best from America Cookbook by Gwen McKee & Barbara Moseley, c. 2005.
Make and share this Rocky Mountain Campfire Chili recipe from Food.com.
- 2 lbs ground beef (can substitute elk, deer, or have a mix)
- 2 medium yellow onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes, broken up
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 ounces diced green chilies
- 2 pickled jalapeno peppers, chopped (optional)
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans beef broth
- 5 cups water
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans
- Brown mean with onions and garlic in small amount of oil. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, chilies, jalapenos, seasonings, beef broth, and water. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cook 4-5 hours, stirring occasionally. Adjust seasonings, if necessary. Add beans during last 30 minutes of cooking. Serve hot in bowls with an assortment of condiments such as grated cheeses, sliced olives, pico de gallo, chopped onions, etc.