Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
- 4 cups rotini pasta or 4 cups penne
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups 2% low-fat milk
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon hot chili pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups shredded medium cheddar
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 cup diced red pepper
- 1⁄2 cup sliced green onion
- 2 cups fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon melted butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 3⁄4 cup shredded medium cheddar
- In large pot of boiling salted water cook pasta until tender but firm; drain well and return to pot.
- Meanwhile in separate saucepan, melt butter over medium heat; whisk in flour, chili peppers and garlic.
- Cook whisking for 2-3 minutes; gradually whisk in milk until smooth.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 5 minutes until thickened, whisking constantly.
- Remove from heat, stir in cheese, mustard, red pepper and onion, until cheese is melted.
- Stir into pasta and pour into greased 2.
- 5 L shallow baking dish.
- For topping, toss bread crumbs with butter and cheeses; sprinkle over top.
- Bake in 350 F (180 C) oven about 35-45 minutes or until bubbling.