Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
This cookie recipe was given to me at a holiday cookie exchange last year. This cookie was my favorite! I haven't made these cookies yet so I'm just guessing on the prep time.
- 1 cup butter
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 cup boiling water
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour, unsifted
- 2 lbs dates, cut in thirds
- 1 1⁄2 lbs walnuts, crushed in hands
- 1⁄2 lb candied cherry, cut into fourths (red or green)
- Cream butter and sugar - add vanilla.
- Dissolve baking soda in water and add to the butter mixture.
- Add flour and then fold in beaten eggs.
- Add nuts and dates and mix well with wooden spoon or by hand (dough will be stiff).
- Drop on cookie sheets with teaspoon.
- Decorate with cherries.
- Bake in 350 degree oven for 15 to 18 minutes.