Recipe by Bec
From the 1961 "Lutheran Favorites" of St. James Lutheran Church, Howard Lake, Minnesota. Submitted by Mrs. Dale Stuevens.
- 2 cups raisins
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 3 eggs, well beaten
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil the raisins and 1 1/2 cups water for 5 minutes.
- Mix brown sugar, eggs, shortening, and vanilla.
- Add raisin mixture, flour, soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice (if using).
- Drop in greased cookie sheet.
- Dip in sugar if you want.
- Bake in moderate oven (350 degrees) for about 10 minutes, or until light brown.