1/2 Photos of Rockin' Stir Fry
This is a recipe that I've developed over the years by adding a little of this and a little that until I had created what I call the perfect stir fry. My whole family enjoys this dish and It's one of my teenage daughter's favorites. Enjoy and feel free to tweak the amount of the sauce ingredients and vegetables to your liking. I use whatever vegetables I have on hand and eyeball the sauce ingredients. Don't be afraid of the oyster sauce. It is a must. It is what gives the authentic taste. Serve over steamed rice.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 bunch broccoli
- 2 small carrots
- 1 onion
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 2 small zucchini
- 1 cup snow peas
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup oyster sauce
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon dark sesame oil
- 1/2 cup roasted and salted cashews, garnish
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, garnish
- 1Separate broccoli florets and chop if necessary so that they are in bite size pieces.
- 2Peel carrots and slice thinly at a diagonal angle.
- 3Cut the ends of the onion. Run your knife into the first layer and peel away the skin. Set cut side of onion on cutting board, cut in half and then slice into vertical slices.
- 4Cut the red bell pepper into 1 inch chunks.
- 5Cut top 2/3 part of asparagus into 1 inch pieces. Do not include the bottom third of the asparagus as it is usually tough. Only use small sized aspargus. The thick is too tough to be enjoyable in a stir fry.
- 6Cut zucchini in half lengthwise and then cut crosswise into 1/4" slices.
- 7Pull the stem off of the snow peas and de-string them.
- 8Cut chicken breasts in half lengthwise and then slice crosswise into very thin pieces.
- 9Heat 2 TBS oil in a wok or deep frying pan over high heat.
- 10Toss in chicken and cook, stirring constantly, until the edges start to turn opaque, about two minutes.
- 11Add the onion and garlic and cook another minute. The chicken will still have a few areas of pink.
- 12Add the vegetables except for the snow peas.
- 13Add sauce ingredients (except sesame oil) and saute until tender crisp, about five minutes. Note: After you turn the stove off, the vegetables will continue to cook in the pan so don't overcook them at this step.
- 14Add snow peas and 1 TBS sesame oil and stir fry a minute longer.
- 15Serve over steamed rice. Don't forget to spoon some of the flavorful liquid that has accumulated at the bottom of the pan on the rice.
- 16Garnish with roasted cashews and chopped cilantro.
- 17Note: I toast my already roasted and salted cashews in the toaster oven for a couple of minutes to make them slightly more toasted. It gives the cashews a nuttier flavor. I think it makes all the difference in the world. If you try this, please watch the cashews closely as they tend to burn easily.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rockin' Stir Fry
Serving Size: 1 (368 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 276.5
- Calories from Fat 122
- Total Fat 13.5 g
- Saturated Fat 2.2 g
- Cholesterol 22.9 mg
- Sodium 916.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.7 g
- Sugars 8.3 g
- Protein 18.1 g