Recipe by muncheechee
I've tried a lot of hummus recipes but this is the first one that came close to Sabra - my favorite brand. I adapted this recipe from one I found online at a blog by Jonah Lisa. She states that it is the order in which the ingredients are combined that makes the hummus so creamy in the end. I don't know how true that is but I follow her method and always end up with great stuff that rivals my favorite brand. I use my blender but I'm sure a food processor would work great too. (The original recipe can be found at http://thetobyshow.typepad.com/the_toby_show/2008/03/the-secret-of-r.html#)
Top Review by DailyInspiration
We enjoyed this hummus recipe very much. I added more salt, some cumin and a bit of cayenne to give it a "kick". Easy to make in the blender. As the recipe states, you can make different versions of this hummus by adding additional ingredients. Made for Fall PAC, October, 2012.
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas (drained, liquid reserved)
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons bottled minced garlic (or use 2 cloves fresh crushed)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine tahini and lemon juice and blend until smooth and frothy.
- Add garlic and salt and blend again.
- Add olive oil and 1/3 can of chickpeas and blend until smooth.
- As you incorporate the rest of the chickpeas, add small amounts of the reserved chickpea liquid to thin the mixture to allow easy blending.
- You will know when the consistency is right when the mixture moves thickly but easily inside the blender.
- When everything is incorporated and the consistency allows for easy blending, leave the blender on for a minute. This is a good time to add any additional spices to taste. I love the addition of smoked paprika and a dash of cumin. You may also want to add more garlic, kalamata olives, jalapenos, pine nuts, roasted red peppers, or anything that strikes your fancy.
- Serve with toasted pita bread, wheat crackers, tortilla chips and/or vegetables.
- Hope you enjoy!