Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe comes from the 1997 cookbook, Vegetarian Planet & it makes a dip that even I can enjoy, & I don't normally care for this green stuff! Preparation time does not include the time needed for the dip to chill.
- 1 (16 ounce) eggplants
- 1 Hass avocado, ripe, peeled, pitted
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded, minced
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 cup red onion, minced
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro, minced
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup lime juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Cut eggplant in half & lay the two halves on a baking sheet, cut side up.
- Bake for 30 minutes, then remove from oven & let cool.
- In a bowl, combine avocado, the bell peppers, cayenne, garlic, red onion, cilantro, olive oil & lime juice.
- Spoon the eggplant from its skin & add it to the bowl, then with a potato masher or a fork, mash the mixture coarsely.
- Add salt & pepper to taste, then chill the dip for at least 30 minutes, before serving with chips.
It was really a pleasure preapre this dish and offer it to my family. Easy, tasty light and as spicy as we all like. I like your recipes, they are really great!
Done for PRMR.
I was surprised! I didn't even taste the eggplant in the guacamole! I did enjoy the different flavors with the bell peppers! Thanks! I did halve the recipe easily. Made for PRMR game.
made as written, except!!! didnt add the cilantro (hate it) AND SUBBED LEMON FOR LIME JUICE, AS THE TREE IS OVERFLOWING! what a great way to make the dip go further!!! very good, well worth the effort! I would say, next time I wont cut the eggplant, just leave it whole, as you lose some, cause the top dries out. made this to go with Tacho's, for Oct recipe swap 09