Recipe by Sydney Mike
This recipe comes from the 1997 cookbook, Vegetarian Planet & it makes a dip that even I can enjoy, & I don't normally care for this green stuff! Preparation time does not include the time needed for the dip to chill.
- 1 (16 ounce) eggplants
- 1 Hass avocado, ripe, peeled, pitted
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded, minced
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 cup red onion, minced
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro, minced
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup lime juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Cut eggplant in half & lay the two halves on a baking sheet, cut side up.
- Bake for 30 minutes, then remove from oven & let cool.
- In a bowl, combine avocado, the bell peppers, cayenne, garlic, red onion, cilantro, olive oil & lime juice.
- Spoon the eggplant from its skin & add it to the bowl, then with a potato masher or a fork, mash the mixture coarsely.
- Add salt & pepper to taste, then chill the dip for at least 30 minutes, before serving with chips.