Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Note: Za'atar is a spice blend of thyme, sesame seeds, salt and sumac. Look for it in Middle Eastern delis. Source: Notebook magazine March 2006
- 2 (400 g) cans cannellini beans, rinsed & drained
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 75 g wild rocket
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 6 -8 pieces middle eastern flat bread (such as Afghan, Turkish or pita bread)
- olive oil, for brushing
- 1⁄4 cup za'atar spice mix (see note)
- 1⁄3 cup pine nuts, roasted
- 1 lemon, rind of, finely grated
- Combine beans and 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil in a large bowl.
- Using a potato masher, mash to a paste. Finely chop 50g rocket and add to bean mixture with garlic and lemon juice and mash until well combined.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Dip can be made up to this stage and refrigerated in an airtight container until ready to serve. Return to room temperature before serving.
- When ready to serve, preheat oven to 200°C Place bread on an oven tray. Brush with a little olive oil and sprinkle with za'atar, then bake for 5-8 minutes or until crisp.
- Cut into thin wedges.
- Spoon dip on to a plate and combine remaining extra virgin olive oil, rocket and pine nuts in a small bowl then scatter over dip with lemon rind.
- Serve with spiced flat bread wedges.