Prep 15 mins
Cook 24 mins
From a cookbook (not sure which one) but this is from the famous Rockefeller family. One day marination required so plan accordingly.
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 drops hot pepper sauce
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon peppercorn
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 5 -6 lbs leg of lamb
- 2 large onions, sliced
- Combine rosemary, pepper, salt, hot pepper sauce, thyme, garlic, ginger, peppercorns and lemon juice.
- Make 3 scores on each side of the leg. Fill each scored pocket with the herb mixture. Rub leg well with it.
- Place onion slices over the leg. Place meat with onion, along with any remaining herb mixture in a plastic bag (zip-lock style)and refrigerate for a day.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. and remove lamb from plastic bag and place in a shallow roasting pan.
- Add one cup of water and roast, basting often until meat thermometer reaches desired doneness: 140 degrees for rare; 160 for medium; more for well.