Prep 20 mins
Cook 18 mins
- 2 ears fresh corn
- 2 medium red onions
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 lb mushroom, sliced
- 1 head romaine lettuce, sliced
- 2 lbs cleaned rock shrimp
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh herb (dill, tarragon, chives)
- 1 tablespoon orange oil
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Shuck the corn, discarding all of the silk, and add the ears to the boiling water.
- Cook for 5 minutes, drain and let cool.
- Using a sharp knife, slice the kernels from the ears and set aside.
- Cut the onions into 1/4-inch slices, brush both sides with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Grill the slices over a hot fire, turning once, until nicely colored and beginning to soften, 3 to 5 minutes.
- (Alternatively, you can broil the onion slices in the oven.).
- Let cool, then dice the slices.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of butter in a medium skillet and sauté the mushrooms over medium-high heat just until tender, 3 to 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the corn, onions and mushrooms and toss to mix.
- Set aside.
- Stack a few romaine leaves, roll up lengthwise and cut across into thin strips; repeat with the remaining leaves.
- Set aside.
- Heat the remaining butter in a medium skillet until it turns nut-brown (not dark or burned).
- Add the rock shrimp with salt and pepper.
- Saute, stirring, until just opaque through (cut into one to test), about 3 minutes.
- Add the rock shrimp to the vegetable mixture along with the herbs, romaine and orange oil.
- Toss to thoroughly coat and taste for seasoning.
- Serve In a large martini glass or on small plates, with crackers or crunchy bread and a glass of sparkling wine.