3 hrs 30 mins
Mrs. Lumpy's Note:
This is the only recipe that my family will ever use for prime rib. No other will do... I know that the ingredients may seem a little strange, but believe me, it is wonderful!! They guys in our family especially get a kick out of this one as they get to make the pan and use a few tools... have fun!!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Get out a large aluminum throw away roasting pan (the deeper the beater) and 4 or 6 aluminum "ribbed" drip pans to make side-boards for the roasting pan, nails and a hammer.
- 2Preheat oven to 550 degrees.
- 3Mix crushed garlic, horseradish and pepper.
- 4Run over entire roast.
- 5Remove you oven rack and place on a strong table and place roaster on the rack.
- 6Standing drip pans on their side, line the roaster with the drip pans and pour 2 inches of roack salt in the roaster to help secure the drip pans.
- 7Sprinkle the two inches of rocksalt with one glass of water and pat down firmly.
- 8Place prime rib, fatty side up, in the center of the roaster, on top of the rock salt.
- 9Pour remaining rock salt on the roast making sure that all of the roast has at least one inch of rock salt covering it (you may need to use a nail or staple to join the drip pans if they appear to leak the rock salt).
- 10Sprinkle more water and pat down until there are NO CRACKS!
- 11Place the roast rack on the lowest possible setting in your oven and cook 20 minutes per pound for rare (center will be rare-rare) or 21 minutes per pound medium rare (rare with a firm center).
- 12Remove the roast from the oven and take outside and place on concrete (wood cannot stand the heat!) and break open with a hammer.
- 13Remove the roast.
- 14Brush clinging salt from the roast with a vegetable brush.
- 15Juice will be extra red and the roast will be extremely juicy!
- 16The rock salt will not make the meat salty, only in some instances on the outer "crispy" areas.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rock Salt Prime Rib
Serving Size: 1 (479 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1815.2
- Calories from Fat 1375
- Total Fat 152.8 g
- Saturated Fat 63.3 g
- Cholesterol 385.5 mg
- Sodium 295.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 0.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 102.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: