Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
This is the standard potato salad we serve. I consider this a base. Feel free to add spices or ingredients to your liking to add you own flair.
- 8 cups russet potatoes, cooked, peeled, then diced (about 12 medium potatoes)
- 5 eggs, hard boiled and crumbled
- 2 cups sweet yellow onions, finely diced
- 1 cup celery, finely diced
- 2 medium jalapenos, finely diced
- 1⁄2 cup dill pickle, diced
- 1 1⁄2 cups mayonnaise (Light or No Fat is OK...but not perfect)
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 1⁄3 cup pickle juice
- 1⁄4 cup cream
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon california chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Boil the potatoes in their skins as well as the eggs.
- Remove the eggs after 10 minutes of boiling and remove and drain the potatoes when they first become fork tender.
- Let potatoes cool to room temperature.Cool the eggs by running them under cold water. This stops the cooking process.
- Peel the eggs and potatoes and refrigerate the whole potatoes and eggs until cold.
- Once cold, dice the potatoes into 1/4 inch or so pieces.
- Place potatoes into a large container with a lid.
- Dice the eggs and add to the container with the potatoes.
- Very finely dice the onion, jalapeño, celery, and pickles and add them to the container.
- Gently mix the ingredients really well.
- In a different bowl, mix the mayo, mustard, dill pickle juice, cream, salt, chili powder, cumin, pepper, and sugar.
- Whisk it up until it's really creamy.
- Pour your dressing over the potato mixture.
- Gently stir until everything is all mixed up.
- Put the cover on the container and refrigerate 8 hours to overnight. We usually make the potato salad the day before.