Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
My husband calls them "pheasant cookies".
- 2 cups self rising flour, sifted
- 90 g butter or 90 g margarine, cut into pieces
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup mixed fruit (raisins)
- 1 tablespoon chopped mixed nuts (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 200°C Place flour in a large bowl and add butter and rub in until mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Mix in sugar , fruit, nuts and ginger. Whisk eggs into milk and add to dry ingredients. Mix to a stiff dough.
- Make round heaps on greased oven trays. Bake for 10-15 min or until golden brown.
I liked the colours of the cookies. They were tasty as well. Once we figured out how many eggs I had put 2 but the recipe calls for 1. Made for Zwt6 for the Xtra hot dishes
Fabulous little! Ihave always loved rock cakes and these were delcious, moist and yet with a nice crunch from the rocky finish! I used mixed fruit and peel and no nuts. I decided to make them larger and managed to get 10 out of the dough. Served these as part of an Afternoon Tea for my French neighbours and there are NONE left! Made for Tea Time in the photo's forum and a real taste of home for me. Merci! FT:-)