1/1 Photo of Rock and Roll BBQ Clam Chowder
The Rock & Roll BBQ Chef's Note:
After a recent trip to San Francisco I decided to make a few adjustments to my recipe and post it. I get a lot of requests for this recipe. I use it on my catering menu as well. This recipe uses canned clams, I use fresh when making it for myself but this is much easier and faster.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 lb bacon
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped (1 large)
- 1 cup celery, finely chopped (4 ribs)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 (6 1/2 ounce) cans minced clams, and the juice
- 2 lbs red potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 8 ounces bottled clam juice
- 3 cups half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1Fry bacon. When it's done put it on some paper towels to drain. Pour the dripping into a large stock pot.
- 2Add butter to the stock pot and heat over medium until butter is melted.
- 3Add the onions, celery, and garlic to the pot. Cook on medium-high heat until the vegetables are translucent and soft.
- 4Slowly add flour while continually stirring. You are making a roux. DON'T JUST DUMP THE FLOUR IN! It is very important to slowly whisk/stir in the flour. Once all of the flour has been added continue to cook and stir for 5 minutes.
- 5Add chopped clams and their juices, diced potatoes, clam juice, spices, and the half and half. Bring to a boil. When it boils immediately reduce to a simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. Stir often. You can add some whole clams at this point too.
- 6Check the potatoes. When they are done -- SOUP'S ON!
- 7Garnish and serve. Bread bowls are the best for this soup but regular bowls work fine. Cheese or fresh herbs make a great garnish. Fresh cracked pepper and hot sauce are a popular and tasty topper too.
Browse Our Top Chowders Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chowders Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rock and Roll BBQ Clam Chowder
Serving Size: 1 (382 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 549.2
- Calories from Fat 301
- Total Fat 33.5 g
- Saturated Fat 16.4 g
- Cholesterol 122.9 mg
- Sodium 491.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 2.4 g
- Protein 27.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: