For the seasoned stock mix
- 1⁄2 cup chicken stock
- 1⁄2 large sweet onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 bunch parsley, chopped
For the meatballs
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 lb ground veal
- 1⁄2 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 5 whole eggs
- 1⁄2 cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese, freshly grated
- 2 -3 pinches chili flakes
- 2 -3 pinches salt
- extra virgin olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Stock mix: Place all ingredients in blender or food processor and puree.
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients (except olive oil) with stock and knead with both hands until mixture is uniform.
- Do not overmix.
- Put a little olive oil on hands and form mixture into approximately 2-ounce balls.
- Pour about half an inch of extra virgin olive oil into a straight sided, wide saute pan and heat over medium-high flame.
- Add the meatballs to the pan (working in batches if necessary) and brown meatballs, turning once.
- You can also brown on a sheetpan in a 375 degree oven if you prefer.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the meatballs from the oil and place them into a saucepan of marinara (they should be submerged).
- Simmer for 30 minutes, or until the meatballs are cooked through and tender.
- Serve as is, or over spaghetti.