Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 10 mins
A hearty, flavorful lasagna
Make and share this Robust Tomato and Wild Mushroom Lasagna recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, minced
- 3 ounces prosciutto, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup Italian parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 1 lb wild exotic mushroom (oyster, shiitake, lobster, cremini,etc.)
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped
- 2⁄3 cup dry white wine
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- 1 1⁄4 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 lb dried lasagna noodle, sheets cooked according to package directions
- Preheat oven to 350°; lightly oil a 13 x 9 inch baking dish.
- In a big pan, heat the olive oil; when oil is hot, saute the onions and prosciutto for about 3 minutes, until the onions have wilted and begin to caramelize.
- Add ½ cup minced parsley, shallots, and mushrooms.
- Combine and saute them for about 5 minutes or until the mushrooms begin to brown and soften.
- Add 2 cups beef broth, stirring vigorously to deglaze the pan—continue to cook for an additional 45 minutes to concentrate the flavors.
- Season with salt and pepper; stir in the garlic, basil, and oregano.
- Cook for 3 minutes to combine the flavors; remove mixture from heat.
- Strain the mushroom mixture, reserving the liquid.
- Pour the liquid back into the saute pan; heat and stir vigorously to remove any particles along the sides of the pan.
- Add in the wine and continue to deglaze the pan; continue to cook the liquid until a glaze is formed, stirring occasionally.
- Add in the tomatoes, paprika, and cayenne; combine well.
- Continue to cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Season with salt and pepper; add the mushroom mixture to the sauce; combine and remove from the heat.
- Assemble: spoon a small amount of sauce on the bottom of the baking dish, covering evenly.
- Layer pasta sheets over the sauce, being careful not to overlap them.
- Cut the pasta sheets to fit the baking pan if necessary.
- Repeat with a thick layer of mushroom sauce; sprinkle with Parmigiano-Reggiano and a generous amount of mozzarella cheese.
- Top with three additional pasta sheets and repeat with the remaining mushroom sauce, Parmesan cheese, mozzarella cheese, and pasta sheets.
- Ensure that the last layer in the baking dish is the pasta sheets.
- Mix ½ cup heavy cream with ¼ cup milk, 2 tablespoons Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese and ¼ cup mozzarella cheese.
- Season with salt and pepper; pour over the top of the lasagna.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove the cover and bake for an additional 15-20 minutes or until the top layer of cheese is brown and bubbly.
- Remove from oven; let rest 20 minutes before cutting to serve.