Recipe by GREG IN SAN DIEGO
There is an absolutely wonderful Greek Restaurant in downtown San Diego called "Athens Market." This is my rendition of the Lentil Soup served there.
- 1 cup dry lentils
- 5 cups water
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 cup sliced carrot
- 1⁄2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 2 teaspoons snipped fresh sage (or 1/2 teaspoon dried sage)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 lb fully cooked smoked link sausage, diagonally sliced
- fresh parsley, snipped
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse and drain lentils.
- Combine lentils, water, green pepper, carrot, onion, bouillon granules, sage, ground red pepper and garlic in a Dutch oven.
- Bring mixture to a boil and reduce heat to a simmer, covered, for about 30 minutes.
- When vegetables and lentils are tender, stir in sausage and continue to heat until ready for service.
- Serve soup into warmed bowls and garnish with snipped parsley.