Recipe by Dancer^
A friend gave me this recipe, after we had this at her house last weekend. It is wonderful.
- 1 1⁄2-2 lbs eggplants, peeled and sliced a scant 1/2 inch thick
- 2 red bell peppers or 2 yellow bell peppers, halved lengthwise (or one of each)
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil, plus extra for eggplant
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 anchovies, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup chopped parsley, plus extra for garnish
- 2 lbs ripe tomatoes, peeled,seeded,and chopped
- 1⁄4 cup kalamata olives or 1⁄4 cup gaeta olive, pitted and chopped
- 1⁄4 cup green sicilian olive, pitted and chopped
- 3 tablespoons capers, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 cup water or 1⁄2 cup juice, reserved from tomatoes
- sea salt
- ground pepper
- 1 lb spaghetti
- 1 cup grated pecorino romano cheese or 1 cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat broiler.
- Brush sheet pan lightly with oil, arrange eggplant on it, and brush tops with more oil.
- Broil on both sides until browned, 12 to 20 minutes per side.
- Remove and cut into wide strips.
- Lightly oil peppers, then broil, skin side up, until blistered.
- Stack on top of one another to steam 15 minutes, then peel and dice into small squares.
- Heat oil in Dutch oven.
- Add onion, peppers, garlic, anchovies and parsley.
- Saute over medium-high heat until onion and peppers are softened, about 5 minutes.
- Lower heat and add eggplant, tomatoes, olives, capers, oregano and water or juice reserved from tomatoes.
- Season with salt and pepper, and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Cook pasta in large pot of boiling salted water until done, then drain.
- Place in large heated bowl.
- Present at table with vegetables spooned over top and garnished with cheese and extra parsley.
- Toss before serving.