1 hr 25 mins
From "Fat Free Pasta Recipes". My friend Rob loves to cook and he excels at it. He stays away from carbs and it shows. I thought about him when I first saw this recipe because he always tells people to use oats instead of bread crumbs. This is a great recipe for a few different categories: meatless diets, hot & spicy lovers and perfect for using the leftovers to throw together a quick tasty sandwich!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups canned low-sodium kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups cooked pearl barley
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon hot smoked paprika (optional)
- 3/4 cup nonfat chicken broth
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup low-sodium tomato sauce
- 1 cup uncooked rolled oats
- 3 egg whites
- 1Place the beans and barley in a food processor or blender. Blend briefly until chunky. Transfer to large mixing bowl.
- 2Combine black pepper, chili powder and smoked paprika.
- 3Heat 1/4 cup chicken broth in a large heavy skillet. Stir in the onions, green bell pepper, jalapeno, garlic and black pepper mixture. Saute until liquid has evaporated, about 5 minutes.
- 4Add the tomato sauce and the remaining chicken broth. Cook until mixture has thickened, about 10 to 12 minutes.
- 5Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 6Stir the sauteed tomato-vegetable mixture into the beans and barley. Fold in rolled oats and egg whites and mix well.
- 7Place mixture in the center of a nonstick 9" by 13" baking dish and form into an oblong loaf. Bake for 30 minutes. Allow to cool for 5 to 7 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rob's Meatless Chili Loaf
Serving Size: 1 (236 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 214.7
- Calories from Fat 14
- Total Fat 1.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 104.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.2 g
- Sugars 3.6 g
- Protein 10.0 g