Recipe by cinderelladressmaker
From "Fat Free Pasta Recipes". My friend Rob loves to cook and he excels at it. He stays away from carbs and it shows. I thought about him when I first saw this recipe because he always tells people to use oats instead of bread crumbs. This is a great recipe for a few different categories: meatless diets, hot & spicy lovers and perfect for using the leftovers to throw together a quick tasty sandwich!
- 1 1⁄2 cups canned low-sodium kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups cooked pearl barley
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot smoked paprika (optional)
- 3⁄4 cup nonfat chicken broth
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup low-sodium tomato sauce
- 1 cup uncooked rolled oats
- 3 egg whites
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the beans and barley in a food processor or blender. Blend briefly until chunky. Transfer to large mixing bowl.
- Combine black pepper, chili powder and smoked paprika.
- Heat 1/4 cup chicken broth in a large heavy skillet. Stir in the onions, green bell pepper, jalapeno, garlic and black pepper mixture. Saute until liquid has evaporated, about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomato sauce and the remaining chicken broth. Cook until mixture has thickened, about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Stir the sauteed tomato-vegetable mixture into the beans and barley. Fold in rolled oats and egg whites and mix well.
- Place mixture in the center of a nonstick 9" by 13" baking dish and form into an oblong loaf. Bake for 30 minutes. Allow to cool for 5 to 7 minutes before serving.