1/1 Photo of Rob's Mango and Chilli Chutney
Adding 1 of the mangoes at the end, means that this chutney retains a superb fresh flavour. Can be left in the fridge for 1 month or preserved and canned for over 1 year (follow the canning notes link on home page) Lovely with Indian or Mexican food or to enhance a cooked meat and cheese platter. Add a spoonful to curries or mix with cold shredded chicken, curry powder and mayonnaise for a lovely baked potato or sandwich filling. Just make sure your mangoes are really ripe and soft.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 ripe mangoes, cut into small cubes
- 4 red chilies, 3 de-seeded and cut fine 1 sliced
- 1 red pepper, de-seeded and cut into short thin strips
- 2 small onions, grated
- 1 lime, juice and zest separated
- 1 inch piece gingerroot, grated
- 1 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup white vinegar
- 1 cup hot strong green tea, made with 2 green teabags
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 large cinnamon stick, roughly broken
- 4 cardamom pods, split
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorn
- 1/2-1 whole star anise
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1In a scalded piece of muslin cloth tie up only the bay leaves, star anise, cinnamon, cardamom pods and peppercorns together and put into large heavy based pan. Alternatively if you don’t have any muslin cloth you can fish the spices out later. Add everything else to the pan along with the spices reserving HALF of the mango, the lime juice and 1 third of the ginger.
- 2Bring to the boil, reduce heat slightly and simmer until thick and almost no liquid remains.
- 3Remove the spice bag or spices meant for the muslin spice bag, squeezing out any excess liquid.
- 4By now you should be able to make a channel through the middle of the pan with a wooden spoon that is not immediately filled with excess liquid.
- 5Add the reserved mango, ginger and lime juice, bring back to the boil and boil for 1 minute only.
- 6Divide between sterilized jars, seal and leave to cool.
- 7Best ever!
Browse Our Top Condiments, Etc. Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rob's Mango and Chilli Chutney
Serving Size: 1 (1587 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 644.8
- Calories from Fat 19
- Total Fat 2.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 2345.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 159.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.6 g
- Sugars 141.9 g
- Protein 5.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: