1/1 Photo of Rob's Chicken Balti
A really tasty home made curry that is not too difficult with the spices etc. It comes out just perfect! Just as good as any curry house, if not better. Get the poppadoms and chutney's out if you have them and serve with rice and naan bread. Make the full batch and only put leftovers in the freezer after it has sat for 24 hours. Still tastes great on day of preparation but leaving until the next day takes it to the next level
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 chicken breasts, cut into bite size pieces
- 2 medium onions, chopped into half rings
- 1 bell pepper, chopped into strips
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 -6 tablespoons balti curry paste (I use half a jar of pataks brand)
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 inches piece gingerroot, grated
- 1 (14 ounce) can chopped tomatoes (400g)
- 1 large apple, grated
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 3 cardamom pods
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 chicken stock cube (I like knorr stockpot)
- 50 g of solid coconut cream, grated (around 1/4 of a block)
- 1/2 pint milk
- 1 large handful fresh coriander, leaves and stalks- chopped (cilantro)
- black pepper
- 1Melt the butter in a pan and add the oil, brown off the chicken quickly and reserve to 1 side. Now fry the onions and peppers over a medium heat in the remaining oil until just starting to brown.
- 2Add the curry paste and fry off for at least 2 minutes before adding the garlic and ginger and frying for a further 1-2 minutes.
- 3Add the chopped tomatoes to the pan stirring well along with the cinnamon cumin, cardamom, bay and garam marsala. Boil down for around 3-5 minutes.
- 4Mix the stock cube with 1/2 pt boiling water and add to the pan along with the coconut cream and the milk, bring to the boil and add the reserved chicken and the grated apple.
- 5Cook for 30 minutes over a low/medium heat.
- 6Taste and adjust seasonings adding salt and plenty of black pepper, take off the heat and throw in the coriander, allow to sit for 15 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rob's Chicken Balti
Serving Size: 1 (334 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 347.9
- Calories from Fat 187
- Total Fat 20.7 g
- Saturated Fat 8.8 g
- Cholesterol 82.9 mg
- Sodium 371.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 8.0 g
- Protein 23.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: