Cook1 hr 10 mins
My DH found this recipe in a Paul Prudhomme book and has adjusted it to our preferences. Great side for just about anything (especially grilled foods) with a light flavor - which doesn't end up competing with your other dishes. Really easy to make, just toss it in the oven and forget about it (so to speak) while you work on other things. :) We tend to like the gorgonzola cheese lately, but feta also works really nicely. It all depends on what your main dish flavor is and your preference. Cooking times can vary - we find 70 minutes works perfectly for us.
- 2 cups long grain white rice
- 2 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄3 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup celery, finely chopped
- 4 -5 ounces gorgonzola, crumbled (feta also works nicely)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne
- Chop onions, bell pepper and celery, set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add all ingredients into a covered casserole dish and place into oven.
- Bake for approximately 1 hour and 10 minutes (ovens and cooking times may vary).
- Cheese typically forms a crust on the top; Enjoy!