Recipe by JanetSmith154
This recipe is my mom's, but I'm not sure where she got it - I think from "Traditions" the Junior League of Little Rock Cookbook - anyway, she always served this at their mammoth Christmas party every year on December 23. Enjoy! These also freeze well - so you may make them well in advance. Some of the ingredients are odd (like boiling water and beef AND chicken bouillon), but I always just make it like my mom says to do so, and they turn out GREAT!
Top Review by steve in FL
Great recipe - I quartered it and served them with grilled steaks with lemon/garlic butter and mashed potatoes. Excellent meal, the mushrooms went great with it! BTW, I suspect mom originally dissolved the bouillon cubes in the boiling water, but eventually evolved the recipe to throwing it all together, since it makes sense to do so.. there you go.. Thanks Janet!
- 4 lbs fresh white mushrooms, cleaned
- 1 lb unsalted butter
- 1 quart Burgundy wine
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dill seed
- 1 tablespoon Accent seasoning
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups boiling water
- 4 beef bouillon cubes
- 4 chicken bouillon cubes
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine all ingredients in a large stock pot.
- Bring to a slow boil on medium heat, then reduce to a simmer.
- Cook 5-6 HOURS with the pot covered (on simmer).
- Remove lid and cook another 3-5 hours or until the liquid barely covers the mushrooms.
- Serve hot in their liquid in a chafing dish or chill or freeze.
- The cooking time sounds dreadfully long, but I promise it'll make your whole house smell fantastic!