Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is the recipe Chef Roberto Martin developed for Ellen Degeneres. Ellen being a native of New Orleans has always loved Red Beans and Rice. When she became a vegan it was quite an accomplishment for Roberto to develop this outstanding vegan alternative for the traditional recipe. He suggests using organic beans, broth made from "Better Than Bouillon" Vegetable Base and "Field Roast" Apple, and "Field Roast" Italian Sausage. I have made this recipe several times now and it is always outstanding. You will not miss the meat.....or the fat. Delicious, made healthy? You bet!
- 2 cups white basmati rice or 2 cups use brown rice
- 3 cups water
- 2 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 sausage, high vegan quality (like apple sage)
- 2 sausage, high vegan quality (like Italian)
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil (or safflower oil)
- 1 large white onion, medium dice
- 6 stalks celery, 6-inch in length, small dice
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded and diced
- kosher salt
- black pepper, freshly ground
- 1⁄2 cup scallion, thinly sliced
- Rinse rice thoroughly.
- Place rice in a large pot with a tightly fitting lid with 3 cups of water.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and allow to simmer for about 20 minutes covered. Or until all water has been absorbed.
- Removed pot from heat and keep covered until needed.
- In a blender, put 1/2 kidney beans and 4 cups vegetable broth and blend until smooth. Add remaining beans to mixture, do not blend. Set puree aside.
- Heat a 4-5 qt stew pot over high heat, add oil, wait until it simmers.
- Add onion and celery and cook, stirring with a wooden spoon until translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Add garlic, cook another 2 minutes.
- Add vegan sausage, chili powder, thyme, bean puree and bell pepper; bring again to a simmer and cook for 10-15 minutes stirring frequently.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- serve the red beans over rice and garnish with sliced scallions.