Prep 1 hr
Cook 45 mins
This fun easy and a bit healthier. A great way to individually serve individual servings of this traditional classic all the traditional flavors. Roasted eggplant, zucchini and portabellos, fresh mozzarella and parmesan, a bread crumb topping and of course a good tomato sauce. Baked and serve like sandwich stacked individually for each person. A great alternative to chicken or veal. Just really great. A main course with a side salad and bread. Or serve it as a side dish with some grilled chicken, fish or steak. It is not really hard at all.
- 2 eggplants (I like the Japanese or the small eggplants, no need to peel, you will need 12 slices total)
- 1 zucchini (About 3 slices cut in half - 6 slices total, skin on cut lengthwise)
- 6 slices portabello mushrooms
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 15 ounces tomato puree
- 2 tablespoons dried Italian seasoning
- 1 onion (medium fine chopped)
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, and chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, and chopped
- 18 1⁄4 inches slice fresh mozzarella cheese (they can be cut in half or broken up, make sure it is very thin sliced. Freeze ahead and then use a )
- 2 cups parmesan cheese
- 2 cups Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 4 tablespoons olive oil (1 for the bread crumbs, 3 for the vegetables)
- 3 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- Vegetables -- Thin slice the zucchini, lengthwise and then cut in half skin on, same with the eggplant. Then slice the portabellos the same way. Drizzle all with olive oil, salt and pepper and place on a cookie sheet lined with foil or parchment paper and cook 15-20 minutes until golden brown and 1/2 way cooked. Lightly soft but not over done. Remove and let cool.
- Sauce -- Add a little olive oil just a teaspoon to a pot and add the onion, garlic and cook for 3-4 minutes until soft. Add the tomatoes, basil, parsley, a little salt and pepper and cook and just let simmer for 10-12 minutes as you prepare all the other ingredients.
- Topping -- Make the bread crumbs, just mix the bread crumbs and olive oil in a small bowl to combine.
- Sandwich time -- Now, we are making a sandwich basically. Three layers. First add a little sauce about 3/4 cup to the bottom of a small casserole dish. Then -- Eggplant (1 slice), sauce (just a tablespoon or so), and cheese (1 slice of mozzarella and then 1 tablespoon of parmesan) and a sprinkle of bread crumbs. Then zucchini, sauce (1 tablespoon or so), cheese (1 slice of mozzarella and then 1 tablespoon of parmesan) and a sprinkle of bread crumbs. Then mushrooms, sauce , cheese (1 slice of mozzarella and then 1 tablespoon of parmesan) and a sprinkle of bread crumbs. Then topped with eggplant, and the sauce. Divide among the 6 sandwiches and top well. Then top with bread crumbs, and parmesan.
- Bake -- at 350 for 30-40 minutes until nice and bubbly and bread crumbs are nice and brown. My oven takes around 30 minutes.