Recipe by NormCooks
Viva Italiano! Top your boats off with hot leftover spaghetti sauce if available.
Top Review by ladypit
Nice zuch. dish with no added fat. I used a can of diced tomatoes, drained, and some regular italian seasoning. I was scared of the garlic so I halved it, though I now think the full amount would have been fine. We did feel that this neeed just a little something more. The hot spaghetti sauce you recommended would be good. Some cheese (either low fat or fat free) might work here too. Thanks for a great one to try.
- 2 zucchini
- 1 -2 tablespoon Mrs. Dash seasoning mix, Italian Medley to taste
- 1⁄2 cup minced garlic clove
- 3 roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice your zucchinis lengthwise, then scoop out the centers to make your zucchini boats.
- Place scoopings from zucchini, and pepper, garlic, Italian Seasoning, chopped onions, and chopped roma tomatoes into food processor. Run the processor for just a few seconds so mixture is still chunky. DO NOT puree.
- Pour mixture into zucchini boats and sprinkle generously with a bit more Italian Seasoning and black pepper.
- Place boats in a rack in an oven pan. Bake at 350 for 20 to 30 minutes until zucchini can be pierced with a fork.
- Heat any remaining sauce in the microwave, and serve it alongside or over your zucchini as a garnish.
- For an added touch sprinkle a few chopped spring onions and some dried parsley on your zucchini slice when serving. Use a toothpick and 1/2 of a snow pea pod to make a sail for each boat.