1/1 Photo of Roasted Winter Squash Soup
1 hr 30 mins
Tracy K's Note:
A delicious, versatile squash soup perfect for chilly fall and winter nights. Use butternut squash or pumpkin and it's a delicious addition to a holiday table. Source: Chef Joel Olson
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs butternut squash (acorn, or other winter squashes, etc)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, mashed to a paste
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
- 4 cups chicken stock
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- 1Heat oven to 400.
- 2Cut the squash in half, seed it, and quarter it.
- 3Brush well with olive oil and season liberally with salt and pepper.
- 4Place cut side up in a baking dish and roast until squash is soft and browned at the edges, 45 minutes-1 hour.
- 5When squash is tender throughout, scoop flesh from skin and set aside.
- 6These steps can be done ahead of time and frozen for later use.
- 7Cook onion in butter over medium low heat until soft.
- 8Onion should be sweated, not cooked till brown or caramelized.
- 9Add the garlic and cook for one minute.
- 10Add the wine and cook, stirring frequently, until reduced to nearly dry (about ten minutes).
- 11Combine the herbs and spices (thyme through fresh parsley) in a cheesecloth bundle/bouquet garni, add it to the pot.
- 12Add the squash pulp to the pot.
- 13Gradually add the chicken stock to desired thickness (you may not need all 4 cups), and bring to a boil.
- 14Reduce heat to simmer, season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 15Simmer soup for 20 minutes.
- 16Remove cheesecloth bundle/bouquet garni, and puree soup with hand blender or food processor until it is the desired consistency.
- 17Serve hot.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roasted Winter Squash Soup
Serving Size: 1 (359 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 308.1
- Calories from Fat 110
- Total Fat 12.2 g
- Saturated Fat 4.9 g
- Cholesterol 22.4 mg
- Sodium 396.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.0 g
- Sugars 10.2 g
- Protein 8.7 g