- 6 medium sweet onions (Vidalia)
- 1 head garlic, bulb cut in 1/2
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 leeks, white part only, soaked and chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 quarts chicken stock, low sodium
- 1⁄2 cup sweet sherry
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, finely chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1 bunch fresh chives
- 1 bunch fresh parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Wrap each onion and garlic separately in aluminum foil and place in a 300 degree oven until onions feel tender all the way through, about 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- Heat oil in a large pot. Add leek and celery; cook until softened but not browned. Remove onions from foil and skins, quarter and add to pot squeeze out garlic from skins and add to pot. Add chicken stock and sherry. Simmer about 45 minutes. Stir in cream and thyme. Remove from heat.
- In batches, puree mixture in a blender until smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste. Garnish each serving with chives and parsley.