Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a great, low fat, easy, hearty dish. It's my default dish when I don't know what to make since I always have the ingredients on hand. To give proper credit, I got this recipe from Quick Recipe by the editors of Cooks Illustrated.
- 2 (14 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, drained but with 3/4 c. liquid reserved
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 3 medium garlic cloves
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 canned chipotle chiles in adobo
- 1 1⁄2 lbs shrimp, tail-off, peeled and deveined
- 1 cup rice
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro (optional)
- 1 lime, juice of, squeezed for juice (optional)
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees.
- Combine tomatoes, onion, and garlic in a bowl with 3 tablespoons olive oil and salt and pepper to season.
- Spread mixture onto a foil-lined baking sheet and place in lowest rack of oven.
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes or until speckled brown (some black is okay).
- Meanwhile, cook rice if serving over rice.
- Meanwhile, cook shrimp in olive oil, one tablespoon per batch (you may have to cook the shrimp in two "batches" as you only want one layer of shrimp in the pan at a time in order to cook and slightly brown them).
- After removing tomato mixture from oven, pour mixture into blender and add the reserved tomato liquid and chipotle peppers -puree.
- Pour puree over rice and shrimp.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro and lime juice, if desired.