Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
From "The Genesis Farm Cookbook" Kale is better than you think!
- 2 large onions, cut into thick wedges
- 4 large potatoes, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 4 carrots, cut into 1 inch slices
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled,seeded and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 4 cups mixed vegetables, cubed (celeriac, parsnips, rutabagas, turnips, Jerusalem artichokes, salsify, etc.)
- 4 cloves garlic, mashed into a paste with
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 8 cups kale, washed and roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- In a large roasting pan, combine onions, potatoes, carrots, squash and mixed vegetables.
- In a small bowl, mix garlic paste with olive oil and pepper.
- Toss vegetables in the olive oil mixture, coating thoroughly.
- Cook for about 45 minutes, mixing occasionally, until vegetables are tender.
- In a large pot, cook kale over medium heat with just enough water to prevent it from burning.
- Cook for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- The kale should be wilted, and water evaporated.
- Mix the roasted vegetables with the kale and serve hot.
I rated this recipe last night and this morning used the leftovers to make a simple hash. I fried some pork sausage, drained it and then added the veggies and kale (chopped pretty small). I served it with scrambled eggs and cheddar cheese on top and it was totally delicious, a huge hit at my house.
This was a nice change from just plain roasted veggies. I cut the veggies a little bigger, but the cooking time was right on. When I reheated the leftovers I put a little grated Parmesan cheese on top and that was good, too. Thanks, Carole in Orlando