Recipe by Suzanne S.
This is so amazing and my first try with phyllo. It was so much easier than I ever imagined! I got this recipe from Proud Italian Cook Blog.
- 2 zucchini
- 1 large eggplant
- 1 large red pepper
- 1 small onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 half a bag frozen artichoke heart
- phyllo dough
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted (or olive oil spray)
- 1⁄2 cup Italian cheese blend, shredded
- grated black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Dice the veggies, drizzle with olive oil, S&P and roast at 425F until tender and golden.
- The most important thing I can say about using phyllo is to keep it covered with a damp cloth as you go layering it. For this recipe I used 6 sheets, I did not drench them in melted butter either, instead I sprayed olive oil over each sheet with my olive oil mister as well as a sprinkling of grated romano cheese on each layer.
- When you reach the 6th sheet spread your vegetables all over leaving about a 2" border all the way around. Scatter your favorite cheese combination on top of the veggies, I used fresh mozzarella, grated fontina, asiago and romano. Fold up the border ends over the vegetables then carefully roll up starting up on the longer side until it becomes into a log.
- I sprayed olive oil on top of the log along with grated cheese and black pepper and baked it for around 20 minutes at 400F until golden.