Recipe by SkysMama
I got this recipe from Alton Brown's Good Eats on the Food Network. I initially tried it because I thought it was great way to get my family to eat some veggies. This turned out better than I thought! The first batch I made was gone within an hour and the next day, I was back at the store getting ingredients to make more! I've adjusted the original recipe to add more onions and garlic (personal preference) so adjust the qtys of these to taste. You can also use low-fat cream cheese instead of regular cream cheese. This is a great with any kind of soft breads (challah, focaccia), bagels and even as a dip for vegetables! If you have leftovers, you can store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week.
Top Review by realbirdlady
Very nice! The proportions are fairly flexible. We usually include more garlic, and a bit of a hot pepper. With a little bit of planning, you can roast these veggies while you have the oven on for something else. The recipe amount is a little more olive oil than I need for the amount of vegetables. Two or 3 tablespoons is sufficient.
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced into rings
- 2 medium onions, sliced into rings
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled & crushed
- 1 small zucchini, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place bell pepper, onion, garlic, zucchini and olive oil in a bowl and toss until all the vegetables are evenly coated.
- Spread the vegetables evenly on a sheet pan lined with foil and place in oven.
- Roast, tossing occasionally, until they are soft and are beginning to brown around the edges, approximately 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool completely.
- Place cooled vegetables in a food processor with cream cheese and process until well combined and spreadable. Do not process until completely smooth. (If you don't have a food processor, you can chop the roasted vegetables finely then mix it with the cream cheese by hand.).
- Season with salt and pepper.