Recipe by wicked cook 46
I "created" this recipe just to get some of those veggies I don't like into my diet. LOL It is probably a combination of ideas I have seen on TV or on recipe sites LOL Each time I make it there is a change with what I put in for veggies and amounts.So feel free to add or subtract from it to make it your own. I even used my immersion blender to make a semi pureed soup. Great way to hide those veggies picky eaters would never try LOL All amounts listed are approximate .
Top Review by bluemoon downunder
A really delicious soup. Anyone making this recipe is bound to add it to the repertoire of recipes to be made often. Fortunately I'd made this a few days earlier than our recent record-braking heatwave. We enjoyed this warm when it was first made, then chilled - served with a dollop of Greek yoghurt. Wonderfully flavoursome: a great blend of flavours and superbly nutritious. :) I used baby potatoes so I didn't peel them and baby carrots and I added some rosemary to the other herbs. I also used my Recipe #135453. Thank you so much for sharing this recipe. I'll certainly be making it often. Made for Newest Zaar Tag.
- 2 lbs russet potatoes, about 4 large
- 1 lb turnip, about 2 small
- 1 large red onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb eggplant, about 1 medium sized
- 1⁄4 lb zucchini, about 1 medium
- 1 lb parsnip, about 2 small
- 1 lb carrot, about 3 large
- 1 large red pepper
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dry basil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dry oregano
- 6 cups chicken broth or 6 cups beef broth or 6 cups vegetable broth
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash all veggies. Peel the potatoes, turnips, carrots , onion and parsnips. I don't peel the eggplant or zucchini. Cut into large chunks all veggies. place in a large bowl and toss with the oil and vinegar. Place on a foil lined baking sheets. I use two one for the firm fleshed veggies and one for the softer veggies.
- Roast at 400 for about 15-25 minutes. Removing the vegetables that are cooking faster before they become soft.Remember these still need to cook as the soup. This is just to give some carmelization to the veggies.
- I also use separate bowls when removing from the oven.
- Eggplant, zucchini and red pepper in one bowl all other veggies in another one. If the eggplant is seedy I remove most of them now.
- Once all veggies are toasted. Combine remaining ingredients and veggiesIn a large soup pot EXCEPT the eggplant, zucchini and red pepper.
- Simmer over a medium low heat for about 30 minutes add remaining veggies and simmer another 20 minutes until fork tender.