Recipe by tamminin
I began making this for my kids when they were toddlers - trying to avoid the sodium filled canned tomato soup. Now as pre-teens, they won't even eat the canned version. Top with parmesan for added flavor. Great with grilled cheese!
Top Review by Health-Minded Chef in Beijing
If you are browsing through recipes, trying decide what to make for dinner, STOP browsing and start making this soup now! It is a very easy soup to make, has great nutritional value and tastes absolutely delicious. You won't be disappointed. Thanks Chef #346419... this soup is a definite winner!
- 2 1⁄2 cups onions, chopped
- 1 cup carrot, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 lb plum tomato, halved
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup potato, cubed
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 28 ounces canned diced tomatoes, undrained
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Combine first 7 ingredients in a oven proof dish; toss to coat. Bake for 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Bring broth and remaining ingredients to a boil. Simmer 15 minutes or until potato is tender.
- Add roasted vegetable to potato mixture.
- In several batches, place in blender and process until smooth.
- Return to pan and cook 5 minutes until thoroughly heated.