I first tasted this sandwich at an Italian cafe and it is called "Favorito". An unforgettable sandwich! This recipe is adapted from one I found on the internet.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place the eggplant and red bell pepper on a baking sheet and brush with 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Roast in preheated oven for about 25 minutes; roast the peppers until blackened. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, sauté the mushrooms in 1 tablespoon of olive oil until tender.
- Stir crushed garlic into mayonnaise. Slice focaccia in half lengthwise. Spread mayonnaise mixture on one or both halves.
- Peel cooled peppers, core and slice. Arrange the eggplant, peppers, mushrooms, and basil on the focaccia.
- Wrap the sandwich in plastic wrap. Place a cutting board on top of it and weigh it down with some canned goods. Allow sandwich to sit for 2 hours before slicing and serving.
Wow - this was really yummy! I roasted the eggplant, mushrooms and chopped yellow bell peppers (all out of red ones) all at once. That way I didn't have to dirty up another pan to saute the mushrooms and the darkened skin on the peppers didn't bug me at all so I didn't bother to peel them. I used fat-free mayo and lots of fresh basil from the garden, the basil was really the secret ingredient in these sandwiches. I used ciabatta rolls and didn't squash the sandwiches, but I did allow them to come to room temperature before eating. One note - the baking sheet should be sprayed with cooking spray as my eggplant stuck to the bottom. Made for ZWT4.
Simply wordeful! I loved roasted vegetables ans mushrooms so I knew from the first look that this would be my favorite sandwich. I cooked the mushrooms with the garlic so I didn't added any to the mayo. I made half with toast bread and the other half with a focaccia type bread. Both wordeful! Thanks for posting!
This was a fabulous summertime dinner sandwich. I agree with the others that roasted veggies really give it a great punch of flavor. The bonus is that letting it set for two hours meant that the "pre-dinner" rush at our house was kept to a minimum. I did add some red onion for extra kick. Great sandwich!