Recipe by Margie99
You could make the ragout with or without the polenta, it would be great either way. You could also sub in with half the quantity of the dried herbs.
Top Review by breezermom
Love the roasted veggies!! I used fresh basil, but only had dried thyme and marjoram. I think I'd decrease those even more than half next time I make this. There wasn't an amount for the tomatoes, so I just tried to put in an equivalent amount to the other veggies. They seemed to roast away. Not sure why the step of putting the veggies in the dutch oven is in there....I didn't notice it doing anything....my veggies didn't have any liquid, so there was nothing to cook away and nothing "thickened". I did make the polenta and served the veggies over it. This was a great lunch to make on a day when I had time to cook something for lunch! Thanks for sharing.
- 1 3⁄4 cups vegetable broth or 1 3⁄4 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 pinch cayenne powder
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 large leek, trimmed, halved and rinsed well
- 2 cups small cauliflower florets
- 1 cup baby carrots, halved lenghtwise
- 8 ounces baby bella mushrooms or 8 ounces white mushrooms
- 4 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup fresh corn or 1 cup frozen corn
- roma tomato, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup thinly sliced basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh marjoram
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
Directions See How It's Made
- For the polenta:Coat a 8 in glass baking dish with cooking spray. In a large saucepan combine 2 cups water with broth, mustard and cayenne, bring to boiling. Reduce heat to medium and whisk in cornmeal. Reduce heat to medium low, cover and cook 5 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat, pour into baking dish, set aside to get firm.
- For the ragout: Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Cut off and discard dark green top from the leek, cut it into 1 inch slices and put in a large bow. Add cauliflower, carrots, mushrooms and garlic, drizzle with oil and toss to coat. Spread vegetable in a large roasting pan. Roast for 8 minutes.
- Remove pan from oven and stir in corn and tomatoes. Put back in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Remove from oven and put vegeetables and juices in a large dutch oven.
- Put dutch oven over medium heat. Cook vegetables for 5-10 minutes or until thickened. Stir in basil, majoram and thyme.
- Meanwhile preheat broiler with top rack 4-6 inches from heat source. Line a baking sheet with foil and coat with cooking spray. Cut polenta into 12 squares and place on baking sheet. Broil 5-8 minutes or until lightly browned.
- To serve; place 2 polenta squares on each plate and top with ragout.