Prep 10 mins
Cook 55 mins
This variation of mac and cheese is chock full of vegetables, they actually make the sauce. It is definitely healthier than most mac and cheese and to me tastes just as nice. You can try any vegetable puree that you like, but my favourite is kohlrabi, so Ive listed that in the ingredients. I got the idea for this from the chowvida blog: http://chowvida.wordpress.com/2012/03/12/macinsquash/
For the vegetable puree
- 5 small kohlrabi, peeled and diced
- 2 medium onions, quartered
- 1 teaspoon oil
For the sauce
- 3⁄4 cup soymilk (or other non-dairy milk)
- 1⁄2 cup water (use the water from the pasta, it helps with the binding)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sage, dried
- 1⁄4 teaspoon rosemary, dried
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- salt (I use about 1/8 ts)
- 200 g whole wheat pasta, cooked al dente and drained (I use fussili)
- 50 g cheese, grated (I like to use a smoky one)
- First make your roasted vegetables: Toss kohlrabi and onion with oil and spread out on a paper-lined baking sheet. Roast in the preheated oven at 190°C/375°F for 30 minutes.
- Transfer to a big bowl and combine with the spices/herbs, milk and reserved pasta water. Puree (I used my hand-held blender). It should have the consistency of yogurt.
- Combine with cooked pasta and spread in a casserole dish. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven at 190°C/375°F for 25 minutes or until nicely browned and bubbling.
A variety of root vegetables were used in place of kohlrabi: sweet potatoes, golden beets, Yukon gold potatoes, parsnips, rutabaga and turnip. Whole milk, fresh herbs from the garden, and I roasted the onion and fresh garlic with the vegetables. I like whole wheat elbow macaroni and I used up a bunch of odds and ends cheese including Parmesan and gruyere. Made for Veg Tag/March. Will make again-very tasty!
DID you see the Nutritional facts for the Mac n cheese? So Tasty and Healthy! I did use 2 large kohlrabi and 1 large onion. added 2 garlic cloves the the roasted veggies. I pureed in my vita mix adding a touch more cheese. I also used the whole pound of whole wheat fusilli to the amount of sauce called for in the recipe. Thanks for the good eats!