Recipe by deette
Yummy meatloaf for the Bobby Flay Throwdown Show on Food Network. Note: I substituted ground beef and ground Italian sausage & Italian bread crumbs and it was DELICIOUS. I made extra of the glaze and topped each serving.
Top Review by Svetlana
SO GOOD! Before I found this recipe, I hadn't had meatloaf since I was forced to eat it as child. Now, I've made it twice in the past 3 weeks! <br/>The first time I made it, I used whatever vegetables I had on hand--mostly carrots and onions. The second time, I used everything specified in the recipe. I roasted them all in the oven, including two heads of garlic, and then pretty much pureed them in the food processor. <br/>For the meat, I used 1.25 lbs of "meatloaf mixture" (beef, pork, veal) and 1 lb plain ground beef, so I had a little extra meat. I made extra glaze because of this, and because I formed the mixture into two loaves (extra surface area), but I definitely didn't need to. I applied the glaze liberally 5 times--once before putting it in the oven, then every 15 minutes while baking, and I still had glaze left over. I baked them for the full 1 hour 15 minutes. My husband and I loved it the first time I made it, but we agree that it was much better the second time!
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large zucchini, finely diced
- 1 red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 yellow pepper, finely diced
- 1 yellow onion, finely diced
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 5 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme leave
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1⁄2 lb ground pork or 1⁄2 lb Italian sausage
- 1⁄2 lb ground veal or 1⁄2 lb round beef
- 1 lb ground chuck
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs, bread crumbs (Japanese, or Italian bread crumbs)
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated romano cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups ketchup, divided
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Heat the oil in a large sauté pan over high heat. Add the zucchini, peppers, onion and salt and pepper, to taste, and cook until almost soft, 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and 1/4 teaspoon the red pepper flakes and cook for 30 seconds. Set aside to cool.
- Whisk together the eggs and herbs in a large bowl. Add the meat, bread crumbs, cheese, 1/2 cup of the ketchup and 2 tablespoons of the balsamic vinegar and the vegetables and mix until just combined. Mold the meatloaf on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Whisk together the remaining ketchup and balsamic vinegar in a small bowl then brush the mixture over the entire loaf.
- Bake the meatloaf for approximately 1 to 1 1/4 hours. Remove from the oven and let rest 10 minutes before slicing.