Recipe by MissLinguist
Light, fresh, and a complete meal in one bowl! I saw something similar at Trader Joe's in a demo, and decided to try it myself.
Top Review by White Rose Child
Really good supper dish! To make it vegan, I omitted the feta. I think it also needed extra citrus juice to mask the strong lentil flavor a bit. Not that I don't like lentils; they just gave a slightly "burned" flavor to the roasted veggies. Overall very good, though, and nice with a spanish quinoa recipe. Thanks!
- 1 cup lentils (regular, black, or puy are good)
- water, for cooking lentils
- 1 yellow pepper
- 1 red pepper
- 1 zucchini or 1 yellow squash
- 1⁄2 onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, for roasting
- 1⁄3 cup lime juice (the juice of 1 lime)
- 1⁄2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 dash salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the lentils: Rinse lentils and remove stones. Place in a pan, and add enough water to cover.
- Bring water and lentils to a boil. Reduce heat to low and continue cooking for 30 minutes.
- Do NOT allow the lentils to rapidly boil for long. This will break the lentils, and you won't be able to drain them later. Also, do not use red lentils, as they will become mush.
- When lentils are soft, remove from heat, drain, and refrigerate, until you are ready to assemble the salad.
- Roast the vegetables: Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Chop vegetables, and toss them with olive oil. (Any vegetables that you like can be used, I provided a list as an example.).
- Spread the vegetables on a baking sheet lined with parchment.
- Bake 20-30 minutes, until browned. Set aside to cool.
- Mix lentils, vegetables, salt, lime juice, and feta.