Prep 1 hr
Cook 3 hrs
An amazing lasagna that takes time to make, but the results are amazing! This is for a deep dish (big) lasagna pan - if yours isn't so deep, use only one pkg of the Kraft 4 Cheese Italiano, half the spinach/cottage cheese mixture, and half the veggies. Leave the amounts of sauce and noodles alone. Note that you can also use a combination of cottage cheese and ricotta.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 8 minced garlic cloves
- 1 cup green pepper
- 2 tablespoons basil
- 2 tablespoons oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 pinch dried chili
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomato puree
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes or 2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
- fresh ground pepper
- 3 diced zucchini
- 1 pint button mushroom, sliced
- 3 portabella mushrooms, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 yellow pepper, chopped
- 1 orange bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 2 lemons, juice of
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 8 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 12 lasagna noodles, half cooked
- 2 (200 g) packages Italian cheese blend
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach
- 2 (500 g) containers light cottage cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 4 beaten eggs
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
- Cook onion and garlic in oil until soft, add peppers, basil, oregano, bay leaves, salt, chili peppers, tomatoes, and cook on low for 45 minutes until flavours have combined.
- Chop zucchini, mushrooms, and peppers. Combine olive oil, lemon juice, red wine vinegar, basil, oregano, salt, and pepper. Marinate veggies in this mixture overnight or for 12 hours, tossing frequently. Roast in a 400 degree oven in a Reynolds Hot Bag or a foil packet for 45 minutes or until tender.
- Half cook lasagna noodles.
- Defrost spinach, squeeze out all liquid. Combine with cottage cheese, nutmeg, and eggs.
- Spread a bit of tomato sauce in the bottom of the pan. Layer on 4 lasagna noodles. Add 1/2 of the spinach mixture. Follow with 1/2 roasted vegetables, 1/3 the sauce, and 1 pkg cheese. Layer on 4 more noodles, then the last of the spinach mixture, the last 1/2 veggies, 1/3 more sauce, and the last pkg of cheese. Add 4 more noodles, the last 1/3 of sauce, and the parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 375 for about an hour, until the middle starts to bubble. You might wish to cover it for the first 40 minutes.
Too much time, too many ingredients and the end result was just OK
I won't make again