Recipe by jovigirl
I found this in Ladies' Home Journal. It looks and sounds interesting so I'm posting it here until I try it. If you do, please review it. I'm curious about how it turns out!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus additional oil for brushing
- 6 large garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 2 3⁄4 lbs butternut squash, halved lengthwise and seeded
- 10 ounces mushrooms, quartered
- 3 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 4 tablespoons low-fat goat cheese
- 2 (5 ounce) bags Baby Spinach, coarse stems removed
- 1⁄4 cup chicken broth or 1⁄4 cup vegetable broth
- 8 egg roll wraps
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425*F.
- Line a small sheet pan with aluminum foil and lightly brush with additional oil.
- Wrap garlic in additional aluminum foil.
- Put squash halves, cut sides down, and garlic packet in pan.
- Roast in middle of oven until very tender, 40-50 minutes.
- Flip squash over and place pan on a rack to cool.
- Unwrap garlic and let cool.
- Scoop flesh from squash to measure 2-1/4 cups and squeeze garlic from skin into a bowl. Mash with salt and pepper to taste until almost smooth.
- While the squash is roasting, pulse mushrooms and shallots in a food processor until chopped.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over med-high heat until hot and cook mushroom mixture with thyme, stirring until the mushroom liquid evaporates and vegetables brown, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer mixture to a bowl and stir in 2 tablespoons cheese. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Wipe skillet clean and heat remaining oil over med-high heat.
- Cook spinach in 4 batches about 15 seconds each, then transfer to a bowl.
- Reduce oven to 375°.
- Bring broth to a simmer in a small saucepan, remove from heat and whisk remaining cheese and pepper to taste. Reserve.
- Lightly grease a nonstick loaf pan (9x5x2 1/2 inches).
- Cut egg roll wraps into 5-inch squares.
- Lay 2 wraps slightly overlapping on bottom of pan.
- Drain off any liquid from squash mixture or spinach. Spread 1/3 squash mixture, then 1/3 mushroom mixture, and sprinkle with 1/4 spinach. Repeat, layering 2 more times.
- Top with remaining egg roll wrappers, then top with cheese sauce and remaining spinach.
- Bake in middle of oven for 20 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.