Recipe by ebbtide
Tweaked a much more complicated recipe I saw in Food & Wine magazine to more meet my needs. This is very simple, yet tastes gourmet. The flavors of the roasting vegetables seep down onto the bread. Don't be afraid to lift up corner of dish to make sure bread is toasted.
- 1 yellow squash, cut into 1/4 in slices
- 3 tomatoes, cut into 1/2 in slices
- 10 ounces mixed mushrooms, cut into 1/4 in slices
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 14 ounces rustic bread, crusts removed and cut into 2 in slices
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon thyme
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In small bowl, combine olive oil and garlic, then coat bottom of 9X13 baking dish with 1 1/2 teaspoons of the garlic infused oil.
- Tear the bread into 2 in pieces and fit tightly in the bottom of the dish.
- Drizzle the bread with 2 tablespoons of the garlic oil and season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle the bread with half the basil.
- In a medium bowl, toss the vegetables with 2 tablespoons of the garlic oil and season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle the tomato slices with salt and pepper.
- Arrange all vegetables on top of the bread, overlapping if necessary. Sprinkle with thyme, salt and pepper and drizzle with the remaining oil.
- Bake the gratin for about 40 minutes, until the veggies begin to brown and bottom of bread is golden.
- Remove from oven and let cool slightly, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining basil, cut into pieces and serve.