Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 mins
- 1 teaspoon dry oregano
- 1 loaf country bread or 1 loaf sourdough bread
- 1 eggplant
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (7 ounce) jarroasted red bell peppers or 1 freshly roasted red bell pepper
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 4 ounces feta cheese
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Cut eggplant crosswise into 1/2" slices.
- Mix 1/2 tbsp.
- oil with 1 tbsp.
- Brush mixture on both sides of eggplant slices.
- Grill or broil until lightly brown and tender (3 to 4 minutes per side).
- Chop eggplant coarsely and mix with chopped red bell peppers.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl, mash feta with fork.
- Add lemon juice, oregano, red pepper flakes and remaining 1/2 tbsp.
- Blend until smooth and spreadable.
- Season with pepper.
- Slice loaf in half horizontally and scoop out about 1" of soft interior from each half.
- Spread seasoned feta in bottom half of loaf.
- Spoon eggplant and pepper mixture over and place bread top firmly on bottom half.
- Cut into wedges and serve.
I make something nearly the same as this and its absolutely fantastic. Feta and roast vegetables is a wonderful combination.