Recipe by Wendy's Kitchen
Two recipes from Epicurious merged into one. Posting here for safe keeping to make this week sometime.
- 1 (10 ounce) bag white pearl onions
- 2 cups diagonal slices peeled carrots
- 2 cups diagonal slices peeled parsnips
- 2 cups cubes peeled rutabagas
- 2⁄3 cup olive oil, divided
- 1 lb cremini mushroom, stemmed, caps halved
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried rubbed sage
- 6 cups cubed cornbread
- 3 large eggs, beaten to blend
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1⁄2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 3⁄4 cups buttermilk
- 5 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons coarse kosher salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 1⁄4 cups cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
Directions See How It's Made
- To make Dressing:.
- Position 1 rack in top third and 1 rack in bottom third of oven; preheat to 425°F Cook onions in small saucepan of boiling water 2 minutes; drain. Cool slightly; trim and peel. Place onions, carrots, parsnips, and rutabagas in single layer on large rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle 1/3 cup oil over and sprinkle generously with salt and pepper; toss to coat. Place mushrooms and garlic on another rimmed baking sheet; drizzle with remaining 1/3 cup oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and toss to coat. Roast root vegetables until tender and brown around edges, stirring every 15 minutes, about 1 hour. Roast mushrooms and garlic until tender, stirring once, about 30 minutes. Place root vegetables and mushrooms in large bowl. Place garlic in small bowl; mash with fork until pureed. Add pureed garlic, thyme, rosemary, and sage to vegetables; toss to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper. DO AHEAD: Vegetable mixture can be made 1 day ahead. Cool vegetables, cover, and chill. Bring mixture to room temperature before continuing.
- Place cornbread cubes on large rimmed baking sheet. Let bread cubes stand at room temperature to dry slightly, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375°F Butter 13x9x2- inch oval baking dish. Add cornbread cubes to vegetables; toss to distribute evenly. Add eggs; toss to coat. Drizzle with melted butter; toss to coat. Add broth and stir to combine (mixture will be very moist). Transfer mixture to prepared dish.
- Bake dressing uncovered until lightly browned and crisp around edges, about 45 minutes.
- To make cornbread:.
- Preheat oven to 400°F Generously butter 9×9×2-inch metal baking pan. Whisk buttermilk, eggs, sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda in large bowl until well blended. Whisk in cornmeal, then melted butter. Transfer batter to prepared pan.
- Bake cornbread until top is golden brown and tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 23 minutes. Cool cornbread in pan on rack. DO AHEAD: Cornbread can be made 1 day ahead. Cool completely, cover, and store at room temperature.