Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
A vegetarian chili made with roasted vegetables. The sweet potato gives it a different flavor.
- 2 red peppers
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 3 cups frozen corn
- 2 -3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (28 ounce) cansof diced and peeled tomatoes
- 2 (7 1/2 ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- Turn the oven to broil.
- Move one rack to the highest position.
- Put the red peppers on the cookie sheet and put it in the oven.
- Allow the skin to blister and turn completely black, turning the peppers as needed.
- (This step can also be done by putting the peppers on the grill or holding them over a gas burner set to high.) Once the peppers’ skin is completely blackened, put them in a bowl and cover the top with plastic wrap or put them into a brown paper bag and fold the top over several times.
- Allow to sit for 10 minutes.
- Remove the skin by peeling it off with your fingers.
- Cut the top off, get rid of the seeds, and then dice.
- Put as much corn as will fit in a single layer of a lined cookie sheet.
- Put in the oven for a minute or two, rotating if necessary.
- Once most of the corn has turned golden, remove the cookie sheet, turn the kernels, and put back in the oven.
- Peel the sweet potatoes, slice into round slices of an even thickness (about ¼ inch), and place onto a cookie sheet, in a single layer, covered with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
- Put into the oven for about 1 min (you may want to rotate the cookie sheet after 30 seconds if one section is cooking much faster than the rest).
- Once the slices have become browned (but not black), remove the cookie sheet, flip the slices and repeat.
- Add olive oil to a large pot on med heat.
- Add garlic.
- Cook garlic for a minute, reduce heat, and then add tomatoes and roasted vegetables.
- Add spices, adjusting to you’re your taste.
- Add beans.
- Allow to simmer for a while (20 minutes to an hour or two).
- Serve topped with grated cheddar, sour cream, chopped cilantro, or whatever you like.